21 February 2012

Apple Pie Afternoon

Like that shiny apple?

In keeping with my goal of spending more time in the kitchen with the kids, at the end of January we made apple pies. I've been letting the girls help me decide what recipes we try, and making a pie was what C2 suggested. This was a new experience for me as well as the girls. I've baked apple pies before, but it was during my newlywed days and I used a recipe that called for dried apples. The cost of dried apples has skyrocketed since then, so I went with fresh apples this time.

The photos were taken by C2, our budding photographer. C1 did most of the actual cooking while I supervised. Even DJ had a hand in peeling and coring the apples, which proved to be the most time-consuming part of the prep work.

On the subject of the apples, I never knew how gross the coating on fresh apples can be. I purchased a bag of apples and was expecting to be able to give them a quick rinse and be done with it. These apples had a sticky/greasy coating that would not rinse off. Apparently that shine that consumers look for on their apples is the result of something called "food-grade shellac". Excuse me? Shellac is something to put on floors and furniture, not food. Now I understand why my normally frugal mother-in-law kept a bottle of Fit Fruit & Vegetable Wash by her sink.

Anyway, the pies turned out better than our attempt to make ravioli from scratch (hint: buy a pasta maker if you want to make noodles that are so thick they can choke a horse). We will probably do this again, maybe when peaches are in season.

No comments: