08 April 2012

My Almost Internet-Free Day

Yesterday I spent most of my resting time (remember, I still have to keep my weight off my healing foot) reading a novel. Although I was an avid reader in my youth, the internet grabs my attention more often these days. In recent years I've had brief periods when books won out over TV and the computer -- the release of each Harry Potter book, my Lori Wick obsession -- but on most days, if I am sitting down there is a laptop open in front of me.

Anyway, I finished off my novel yesterday afternoon and was going to grab my laptop when ABM and C1 made some comments about how strange it was to see me reading a book. From the ensuing conversation I gathered that my family thinks I can't survive without the internet. That got my back up, so I decided to go the rest of the day without the internet. "I'll show them!," I thought.

All I got out of my internet-free day, besides finishing a Rhys Bowen mystery, is a reminder that the internet and my gadgets are a big part of my day. I didn't know what to do with myself without the computer or my tablet or my phone. There was nothing good on TV and I couldn't jump into another book (I have to give myself a break between novels unless they are part of a series). I was home alone with DJ and he was reading a book, so I didn't have anyone to talk to. I ended up cheating a little: I watched some videos via my Roku box, which uses the internet. 

Some therapist would probably have a word or two to say about this, but I don't like to be alone with my thoughts. There is too much noise going on in my brain. Reading blogs, playing games, and listening to podcasts  are all activities that drown out the worry and the nonsense in my head. That's not the only reason I do these things, though. My family, as much as they make fun of me being on the computer all the time, has come to expect that I will introduce them to new books and games and look up anything they don't know the answer to. As C1 said yesterday, I am the living interface to the internet for my family. Some moms back; I research!

No comments: