30 January 2005

Side Benefit of Reality Shows

ABM and I watch reality shows. Yeah, I said it and I'd say it again. We used to watch everything that the various networks would throw at us. Real World and Road Rules were Must See TV for us during the first three seasons, and we were glued to our sets for the first season of Survivor. After the first season of Big Brother, however, our affection for the genre faltered a bit. I, in particular, grew tired of all the plotting and backbiting. The dating shows never piqued our interest in the slightest. These days we try to stick to shows that involve the contestants going through some sort of improvement or reflection on their lives. Here is a short list of the ones we watch together:

Wife Swap
Made
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy/Girl
Town Haul
Pimp My Ride
Extreme Makeover
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Project Runway (this is actually one that I watch with M and Kjr)

One of the side benefits of watching these shows is the discussions that we have. When we were watching shows like Survivor, all we said was "I can't believe he did that!" With the shows that we watch now, ABM and I talk about how our lives are similar or dissimilar to the people we are watching. For instance, while viewing Queer Eye the other night ABM opened up about how he appreciates it when I make an extra effort to put on heels and a little makeup. Wife Swap has sparked several discussions about household responsibilities and how they should be distributed. Watching TV isn't always a waste of time.


3 comments:

Genia said...

I think it's really great that ABM can watch TV with you. Here if the TV is on and Eric isn't on the computer he falls asleep. Can't watch any program at all with dozing off totally (complete with snores, open jaw, etc) So I watch either by myself or with Myla.

Gewel said...

My sister and I watch Extreme Makeover H.Ed. and cry. LOL. We actually get on the phone and sniffle.

Dani In NC said...

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition provides a boo-hoo moment for me, too. I don't watch it every week, though, because it comes up against Charmed.