05 February 2005

Time to get back on the wagon

As you can see from the recent pictures that I posted, I am not exactly the delicate flower that I pretend to be. Leaving a few extra pounds on the curb for the trashman to pick up wouldn't hurt me a bit! Several years ago, I went on my first serious diet ever (eDiets, for those who wanted to know) and lost about 20 pounds. Then, I got cocky and quit before reaching my goal weight. Although I know all the principles and what works for me in particular, I didn't fair too well. Like most of dieting America, I gained it all back and then some. Currently, I am at 255 lbs. The number itself isn't really what bothers me; it is the fact that I can't fit into the type of clothes I want to wear and that my body has mysterious aches and pains all the time.

So what does work for me? Exercise and plenty of it. The one thing that a lazy girl like me can't stand is the one thing that works. Diet-wise, there are very few things that make a difference because I don't usually consume that many calories. There are days where I am drawn to everything on the junk-food aisle, but they are balanced out by days where all I want are vegetables and grilled chicken breasts. When I quit eDiets, I was still losing weight. When I stopped exercising, however, the number on the scale began to climb.

What made me stop exercising? I don't remember. I never learned to like exercise, even though I was doing it an hour a day at one point. I think it might have been when I broke our treadmill. I know that there are other alternatives to the treadmill, but I have never been able to stick to them consistently. Walking on the treadmill is the one thing I can talk myself into doing at 6a because I know that I can do it in my pajamas!

Enough whining about your health, you're saying -- what are you going to do about it? Well, I asked ABM to get me a "Walk Away the Pounds" DVD for Valentine's Day. I'm also trying to drink more water (yech!). Once I get a steady week of water and exercise behind me, it may be easier to stick with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.