04 February 2005

Movie Meme

My friend G1 tagged me to answer some movie questions. Just like with the music meme (I didn't even know this sort of thing was called a "meme"), I feel much less qualified to talk about movies now that I have read other people's lists. I used to think of myself as a movie buff, but for the past 12 years I've only gone to the movie theater about once a year. I could blame it on the kids or the cost of movies, but it goes deeper than that. There has always been something in me that has resisted doing what everyone else is doing, but it has become more pronounced these days when it comes to movies. By the time I read about a movie in Entertainment Weekly and see the trailer, I feel like I have seen the movie already and I don't want to plunk down money for it.

Anyway, I like to play when I'm tagged, so here goes:

1. What was the last movie you went to see in a theatre?

I believe it was The Fighting Temptations with Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Beyonce Knowles. Unlike me, ABM goes to the movies all the time with his friends so when we go out together there aren't many movies left that he hasn't already seen and/or is willing to see.

2. What is the last movie you watched at home?

It was Damn Yankees. It's not a very good movie, but Accuradio kept playing songs from the soundtrack which made me want to see it. One thing I did like about it is that Gwen Verdon's dance sequences show how a woman can be sexy using very minute movements.

3. How many movies do you own?

None. The replay value of a movie for me is close to zero, so I don't see any reason to buy it. The only exception is a musical, but that's what the rental store is for.

4. Got Netflix (or a similar service)?

Yes, we have Netflix. I originally got it for my husband as a birthday gift, but after his initial subscription period expired I started renting movies. Thanks to Netflix and TiVo, my interest in movies is beginning to resurface.

5. What are the next three movies in your queue?

We take advantage of the new Netflix feature that allows a single account to have separate queues for different family members. Just for the fun of it, I'll list the next three movies in my queue and in ABM's queue so you can see how different we are:

ABM---X-2: X-Men United, Cheaper by the Dozen (the new one), and Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle

Mine---Ella Enchanted, Gypsy 83 (I love Sara Rue!), and South Pacific (the TV version with Glenn Close)


6. List five movies you adore / mean a lot to you.

a) Grease: That movie was released when I was in about 6th grade. I didn't see the movie itself until later, but the songs were all over the radio and I think they cemented my love of show tunes. The songs in musicals are much less generic because they have to fit into the flow of a story. I am attracted to country and folk for the storytelling aspects, as well. Oops -- we're talking about movies, aren't we?

b) Overboard: Although I said that I rarely watch movies more than once, this film is a glaring exception. It is unusual for me to laugh at the same jokes more than once but this movie cracks me up every time I see it.

c) Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: It has great songs, great dance sequences, and Jane Russell. Who doesn't appreciate a big gal who is sexy, too?

d) Guys and Dolls: I have seen this movie so many times that I have lost count. During my teen years I may have wanted realism, but these days I want my entertainment candy-colored and wrapped up with a nice pretty bow. This movie fits the bill nicely. It doesn't hurt that every song in it is a winner.

e) The Champ: I haven't seen this movie in at least 15 years, but I remember it as the first movie where I really bawled my eyes out at the ending.

7. Name your guilty pleasure film/genre?

I like teen movies and teen TV shows. For the most part, the problems aren't as serious and there is less sex. I'm not quite sure I can call this a guilty pleasure, though, because I'm not embarrassed to tell anybody that I watch Degrassi: Next Generation or that I still like all those John Hughes teen movies.

8. What's your favorite quote from a film?

I don't really remember quotes from movies. That probably comes from the fact that I don't watch them more than once :-).

There it is. I'm not passing it on because I don't really know many other people with blogs. Feel free to rag on my choices in the comments section if you want!

No comments: