11 November 2005

My Jennifer Love/Hate Thing

I keep being drawn back to Ghost Whisperer, which stars Jennifer Love Hewitt. In the beginning, I was determined not to watch it because I was still mad at CBS for cancelling Joan of Arcadia. Ms. Hewitt is considered by many to be more of a pop tart than a real artist, and the show isn't that good. Still, I can't help watching it. The vintage clothes her character wears along with the false eyelashes and the slightly teased hair extensions give her the 1960s starlet look that I love. I don't want to like her, but I can't take my eyes off her.

It's not just her looks, either. She is also a great singer, which I would never have guessed. She looks so sweet that I was totally caught off-guard by the fire in her voice when I heard her do a rendition of "Me and Bobby McGee".

So why is my first instinct to dismiss her? She is obviously talented. Maybe it is the "gee whiz" vibe she gives off in interviews. She comes off as either airheaded or unbelievably innocent. Perhaps an evil role or two would make me take her more seriously. It worked for Mandy Moore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the show is crap but I like Jennifer Love alot she is a good actor but refuses to take mature roles.

She doesn't want to offend anyone and that limits her to mild comedy. When this show gets canceled maybe her anger will force her to play a victim or a bad gal.