19 July 2006

Poetry Thursday: Let's Talk about Sex

The discussion this week turns to sex and poetry. This amuses me because I have spent the past month or so immersed in that very topic. I have been recording segments for a podcast where I read rap and hip-hop lyrics as if they were poetry. I pick my own lyrics to recite, so I have been wading through this stuff for weeks. If you thought that rap was sexually charged already, try reading the lyrics out loud without music! There was no way I could come up with a new poem on the subject with Nelly Furtado and the Pussycat Dolls running through my head.

With no new poetry to post, I turned to my back catalogue to bail me out. Sex was on my mind a lot when I wrote poetry 20 years ago. Looking through my notebook, I see now that the sex on my brain didn't make it to the page. Most of my romantic poems were more about longing than actual physical contact. Since I didn't write a new poem for today, I am going to share two old ones.
--------------------------------------

They melted together
Into one
glorious
sticky-sweet
Puddle,
Like a double-scoop ice cream cone,
The chocolate swirling into the vanilla
Until one is indistinguishable
From the other
In the heat of the steamy August night.

--Dani Sanders, 04 October 1989

--------------------------------

If I told you
That I have forgotten
How it feels
To be touched by you,
Would you refresh
My memory
And hold me again?
Would you circle me
With strong arms
While you place
A tender kiss
On my eagerly awaiting lips?
Or would you
Pull me towards you
Roughly,
Knowing that sometimes
Crudeness
Is what excites me
Most?
Just a few hours
Of your existence
Is all I need
To awaken my senses
And remind me
What it is
To be a woman
Desired.

--Dani Sanders, 03 April 1988

7 comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Whoa! Nice poems. They work for me.

wendy said...

I LOVE the last line of the last poem...A woman Desired.

Tammy Brierly said...

Loved them both!

Jim Brock said...

I really like the range of the two, side by side: one a sly, playful contemplation, and one, just out-and-out urgent.

Ceebie said...

Love the imagery of the ice cream melting together into one...Both are very lovely expressions of desire and longing.

Jayne said...

Oh, wow. I like both these a lot..but the second one sends me back. Wow...really great.

Carol (a.k.a. Lady Wordsmith) said...

Your opening had me giggling. Pussycat buttons have been tripping me up lately too!

And as to the second poem - you have me almost ready to share it with whose touch I've forgotten. Well crafted. Nicely shared.