22 September 2006

OneWebDay

Although I'm not sure that the world needs one more pseudo-holiday to celebrate, I'm using OneWebDay as a writing prompt. Since I haven't posted in a while, this is as good a topic as any to flex the blogging muscle.

The purpose of OneWebDay is to celebrate the importance of the internet in your life and share your thoughts about it with others. Because I have never had a driver's license and I am in a part of the country that doesn't have extensive public transit, I have lived in semi-isolation for most of my life. I go to work, I come home, and then I'm in for the night. The internet has been providing me with information and entertainment since 1988 when I first subscribed to Compuserve. These days I can't imagine going a week without internet access. Even ABM, who has stated for years that he doesn't understand how I spend so much time on the computer, has come to embrace the ease with which we can look up a product or an actor that we have seen on TV right away.

Then there are the people. I don't want to turn this into a giant mash note, but my life has been enriched by the people that I have "met" online. I am a member of an online parenting group that has been together for almost 10 years and I consider these people my friends. More recently, I've been associating with a group of podcasters who think I have the voice of a goddess -- definitely a boost to the self-esteem :-). With broadband access, I can socialize and make my views known without being hampered by my lack of transportation.

I'm not going to wax poetic about the internet because it is basically just a tool. Still, I can't imagine my life without it. Why not celebrate OneWebDay by trying something you have never done on the internet before?

1 comment:

MA said...

I subbed to that list in July of 96...so I can safely say 10 years for sure...

And you do have the voice of a goddess! ;-)