17 December 2006

My gadget lust has returned




Most of you have probably seen a Roomba, the little round robot that vacuums your floors for you. When it first came out, I thought it would end up being another gimmicky piece of crap that went the way of the Pocket Fisherman. Many models and several years' later, it turns out that the Roomba works well and many people swear by them.

Now there is the Scooba, which uses similar technology for mopping floors. While the Roomba always sounded like something nice to get if I came into a windfall, I'm willing to skip a few lunches to get the Scooba. Sure, it is a bit slow (45 minutes for an average-sized kitchen) and it cost a lot more than a mop ($300). Unfortunately, I can count on both hands the number of times I have done a full mopping job on the hard floors in this house, and we have been here over five years. I've actually considered hiring a cleaning service to come in a few times a month just to clean bathrooms and mop floors. Surely the Scooba is cheaper than that. This device sounds like an especially good investment in light of the fact that we plan to pull up all the old wall-to-wall carpeting and switch to hard floors with throw rugs. Now that I've convinced myself, I wonder if I can talk ABM into it?

1 comment:

Man said...

Those things always remind me of the movie Runaway with Tom Selleck, there something not right about a robot who wants to clean.