17 December 2006

Sunday Scribblings: Anticipation

Anticipation is a close relative to anxiety and dread in my life, especially at this time of year. Perhaps that's just how it is when you are on the giving end. Kids get to indulge in delicious speculation of what might be under the tree. Adults worry, and this time of year offers plenty of grist for the anxiety mill.

--Will I be able to find what my kids want, especially since I can't shop until my last paycheck before Christmas?

--Will I be able to afford what my kids want?

--Have I done enough to pass my values and the true meaning of Christmas on to kids, so they won't think it is all about the presents?

--Why didn't I make more of an effort to get them involved in charitable acts this year?

--Will I finally be able to find an anniversary and Christmas gift that ABM will truly like and use?

--Will I be able to find money for all the last-minute holiday expenses that seem to pop up, such as the big field trip that the school decided to schedule for two weeks before Christmas?

When you are part of the inner workings of the holiday celebration, there aren't any surprises. My feeling of anticipation has been reduced to one tiny moment right before the first child opens the first present. Then it's all over until next year.

5 comments:

paris parfait said...

Christmas can be a stressful time - just don't worry so much about things having to be perfect. One of our best Christmases was when I didn't shop for my daughter until Christmas Eve (didn't have the money before then) and we decorated a large plant in a London apartment, rather than a tree. Hope you and yours have a delightful Christmas and happy new year.

January said...

Try to take some time for you over the holidays. And I'm sure your family understands the choices you've made for the good of the family. The most important thing is to be together for Christmas.

Enjoy the time, and have a great Christmas and New Year.

ren powell said...

Relax. It will be wonderful. I hope that tiny moment grows into something huge!

Anonymous said...

I need to work on the charitable acts one myself. I am worried that my younger one is far too focused on what he is going to GET.

Regina said...

It's too bad the holidays are always so filled with stress- I think we should all just start over! Hope your holidays are wonderful and you get to relax!