29 March 2007

Musicals make my heart swell

I am halfway through watching Broadway: The American Musical and loving it. Many people think of musicals as fluff, but this form of entertainment affects me more deeply than any other. The songs, which tell stories rather than just repeating simple refrains, reach down in my soul and stir up emotions that make me want to sing out myself. The dancing makes me curse my own clumsy feet.

What do ordinary people do when those strong feelings are churned up inside them? My first thought is that I want to share the experience. I want others to understand what the music and choreography has done to me and have them feel it themselves. I am not an actor, singer or dancer, so I can't express them in kind. Writing alone doesn't get it across. I wonder how others keep this all bottled up inside.

No comments: