15 March 2007

Ring-a-Ding Ding!

Have I mentioned that I don't like talking on the phone? I used to be able to tolerate it for work, but now I don't like it at all. Calling out is the worst. I have to get myself psyched up for even simple calls. Why can't more people in my life use e-mail?

Anyway, I had to call Office Team this morning. They got my resume and want me to come in for testing. That should be a good call to make, right? Well, I was stressed about scheduling the interview. I knew that if I called today, they would want me to come in tomorrow but I'm not available until Monday. How do I say that without looking irresponsible? I can't tell them that my husband can't drive me until Monday. (I've learned that it is best to hide the fact that I don't drive. I have extremely reliable transportation, but temp agencies put you at the bottom of the list if you don't have a car.)

Thanks to Netflix, I had just the thing to loosen me up a little before the call: Live and Swingin': The Ultimate Rat Pack Collection. After a dose of Dean Martin, I was ready to make the call. Of course, I got myself all worked up for nothing. The agency rep didn't have a problem with waiting until Monday at all. Now I need to watch the rest of the DVD to calm my interview jitters.

Speaking of the Rat Pack, I will forever regret that I didn't go see the reunion tour in the late 80s. Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, and Liza Minnelli came to my area and I actually lived near the venue. I wanted to go to that show so much! My fear of crowds and fear of spending money were both much worse than they are now, though, and I couldn't imagine buying a ticket to a concert and going by myself. It wasn't as hip for a 21-year-old to be interested in cocktail music, so I couldn't get anyone to go with me. The DVD is as close as I'm going to get.

No comments: