22 July 2007

Sunday Scribblings: Wicked

I'm sure the other Sunday Scribblers had a more traditional take on today's prompt; however, I can't hear the word "wicked" these days without thinking about the Stephen Schwartz musical. My first exposure to Wicked was when Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth appeared on a Halloween episode of The View to sing one of the songs. I've been a fan of the music ever since. I can't wait until the touring production comes to Charlotte next year. Although I know that Idina Menzel won't be part of the cast, I am still looking forward to it.

The video below is Menzel and Chenoweth performing one of my favorite songs from the show, "Defying Gravity". When Menzel sings the last few lines of that song, it makes me feel like I can do anything.

11 comments:

Marie said...

Thank you; I needed that today...and women everywhere fighting stereotypes deserve to see this. You moved me today; and I feel changed because of your contribution(s).

Marie said...

Hey lady..I would have written this in an e-mail so it would be more private, but now you can delete this after you read it instead. I was so moved, that I blogged about you today as I feel you are a strong woman and would motivate others. I hope you don't mind. If you do, I will remove it for you, but I wanted to say thanks.

http://creativespiritfaery.typepad.com/creative_faery/2007/07/sisterhood-un-1.html

Melanie Margaret said...

This video gave me chills!
Thank you for sharing it!

Becca said...

This show was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the prompt! I work with high school vocalists and musical theater, and all my students are wild for it.

I agree with you - this song makes you feel as if you could - well, fly!

Great post!

Tammy Brierly said...

Wonderful contribution! Thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm still on dial-up, which means my computer would probably have some sort of nervous breakdown resulting in smoke and a shower of computerbits if I even TRIED to watch the video, but thanks for writing about the musical.

I've never seen it, but listed to parts of the soundtrack a friend of mine had and I loved it. I had no idea it was coming to Charlotte (I live a couple of hours away in SC) next year! I'll definitely have to see it when it comes. Thanks for sharing the info!

Sandie said...

I thought about the musical too, I really enjoy the music and the message of the story.

Shelby said...

haven't seen it - but a friend of mine did.. interesting post!

Forgetfulone said...

I'd really like to see it! (The Musical Wicked)

Paul said...

Lovely. Thanks for posting.

Betty Carlson said...

I definitely thought about the musical, but since I've never seen it I decided I wouldn't have a lot to say in a post about it. Thanks for sharing the clip, though.