05 November 2007

Made it through my first day

Well, I survived the first-day-on-the-job jitters without throwing up or having a panic attack. Yay, me! My biggest fear was that I would have trouble finding my way around my workplace because there are several buildings. So I used my lunch break to figure out the quickest route to the important stuff: the bathroom, the snack machine, and the coffee pot :-). That made me feel much calmer.

I packed a self-heating cup of coffee and an oatmeal snack along with my lunch. I wanted to be ready just in case I felt too panicky to find the break room or they didn't provide coffee. Despite my preparation, I didn't even get to drink any coffee! We went from one activity to another and there never was a good time to take a break. Do you know how hard it was for me to concentrate on my benefits package with no caffeine to clear my head?

The work itself seems more complicated than I first thought, but that may just be the way my trainer is explaining it. My last two jobs had full-time training departments, and I am afraid they spoiled me. It's been a while since I've been trained in a casual manner by the person who last held the job. I've been on the other end of such a training situation, and I know that I tend to give the new person way too much information up front. That is what my current trainer is doing to me. Add to that her obvious assumption that I've never touched a computer before ("When the field is greyed out, that means you can't enter anything." Gah!), and I missed that coffee a lot. Still, the trainer is a nice woman and I know that she is trying to make sure I am well-versed in the ways of the job I've taken on.

More than the last several jobs I've had, this one gives me a comfortable feeling. From the moment I finished the interview, I knew that this was my job. It feels right. I don't sense the stress that was thick in the air at my last two jobs. Of course, I could be deluding myself. I could end up hating this job as much as I hated the other ones. However, I am choosing to have a good attitude right now. There's plenty of time for hating my job later :-).

No comments: