07 November 2007

My clumsy gene becomes dominant once again

I'm only 3 days into my new job, and I've already shown my supervisor and my coworkers how clumsy I am. I was walking out the side door and forgot that there is a little drop down from the doorway to the sidewalk. I lost my footing, my left knee buckled, and I hit the concrete hard. This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I have a long history of taking a dive in very public places :-p.

I took the fall at the end of the workday so there weren't too many people still there, but my supervisor and my office mate both came running. I kept trying to shoo them away but they wouldn't hear of it. See, I wasn't getting up right away so they must have thought that I hurt myself pretty bad. The thing is that I can't get up immediately after a fall, even it is fairly minor. It always takes a few minutes for my legs to get the message that they still work :-). This delayed reaction causes me a lot more embarrassment now that I am 100 pounds overweight. I feel as though people think my inability to get up has to do with my size. So, in this case, I pushed myself off the ground a little soon than I should have and tried not to look like I was in pain as I walked out to the car.

ABM, my ever-sensitive husband (NOT!), joked about buying me a walker. He's a laugh riot, that one :-p. He is also the cause of my second trip of the evening. As I was hobbling around with pain shooting through my ankles and calves, I tripped over the DVD player that my dear husband left in the middle of the bedroom floor. Yeowch!

It is now 5 hours later and my legs and ankles still hurt. Of course, I can't go to the doctor because my health insurance doesn't kick in until the first of the year. I don't want to take a sick day because I just started this job. So here's hoping that a good night's rest will keep me from limping in to work tomorrow.

1 comment:

caednkat said...

Aww.. I hope your legs and ankles are feeling better today! I am notorious for falling all over the place too, and like you said it only makes it more embarassing when you are overweight (like me).