22 November 2007

While others are gobbling down turkey . . .

. . . I am eating a Hot Pocket, sorting coupons, and watching the British version of "Biggest Loser". This makes me chuckle inside. Sometimes I like to conform; I can be a regular Emily Post in certain situations. Other times I like to go my own way. I don't do it to call attention to myself. I just don't like feeling like a sheep following the herd all the time.

In this case, I don't like to see the pressure that so many women around me have put on themselves to make a big dinner. Thanksgiving is more about the trappings than reflecting on the blessings in our lives, and I want to change that. By not spending all day in the kitchen, ABM and I were able to talk about Christmas and how we plan to celebrate with the kids without spending tons of money.

I like the trend I've seen in the blogosphere of extending your holidays a bit. For instance, many bloggers seem to celebrate a birthday week. That way they aren't hurt if no one has time to hang out with them on the specific day. I like doing the same thing with Thanksgiving. We get tons of offers to eat at different tables on Thanksgiving Thursday. Why not save my ham and collard greens for Friday or Saturday? It's almost like having your cake and eating it, too.

No comments: