31 May 2008

My 1st Lettuce Harvest

Despite the mishap I had with planting my lettuce, I still managed to get some of the seeds to grow. Thursday, I finally had enough to put on a sandwich. ABM was not impressed, but I was excited to finally be eating my very first harvest. After all those years of wondering what it would be like to eat food that I grew myself, I finally got to experience it.

I now see the wisdom of successive lettuce plantings. It took a month for me to get my little handful of lettuce. If I want to eat salad on a regular basis, then I need to plant a new crop each week. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a place to put more lettuce. I may try using disposable lasagna pans.

I also noticed on Thursday that two of my tomato plants have started to flower. They are the two that looked the healthiest to me, so I am not surprised that they are flowering first. I wonder how long it takes to get tomatoes after the blossoming starts.

As for the rest of the garden, it seems to be going well. I can look down from DJ's upstairs window now and see green instead of just a tacky brown patch. Well, except for the melon bed which only has the watermelon plant thriving in it. My other melon seeds didn't seem to take. C'est la vie. I'm trying to think of this as a long-term project instead of just a one-time thing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am loving my AeroGarden. I have the herb box and I've had fresh herbs with every meal for the last month with no end in sight. They have a tomato or lettuce box too. Its not cheap, but it works! The next one I'm gonna get it the tomato. :)

Dani In NC said...

I was lusting after the AeroGarden when I saw Christina Ellis had one. However, I can't really justify the price since I am gardening to supplement my groceries. Also, I'm growing for 6 people. I practically need a mini-farm :-).