20 May 2008

Turning Into an Earth Mother



My original gardening plan has gotten bigger and bigger, probably because I keep trying to find reasons to be out in the garden. I started off thinking I was just going to plant four vegetables in containers: tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, and basil. Since my last gardening post, I've added cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, green onions, chives, squash, zucchini, banana peppers, and jalapenos. Another change is that the bulk of them are in the garden bed that I wasn't planning to use until fall. I decided that I would rather use my bed for free rather than sink money into more containers.

I knew that I would enjoy planning the garden because I have been dreaming of one for years. What I didn't expect was that I would like digging around in the dirt. I like shoveling the soil and the compost onto the beds. I even like standing outside and just looking at the plants. I'm thinking about putting a chair out there so I can sit and read.

Spending time in the garden has changed my whole feeling about the outside of the house. I treat the yard like another room now. I make the kids go out and pick up trash just as if they were straightening up their bedrooms. I'm more aware of how it must look to the neighbors when I have junk all over the porch and the lawn. Won't ABM be surprised when he comes home to a clean yard?




The funny thing is that the garden itself isn't even that pretty. The planks are left over from a play structure that ABM built for the kids about six years' ago. He tore the rest of it down when it got rickety but didn't feel like pulling up the bottom part that was secured to the ground. So I have a plot that resembles raised beds with all my plants squeezed in there haphazardly. Not a lovely sight, but I'm happy with it just the same.

No comments: