14 June 2008

Our Love Has Come To This?

Today, the kids were invited to an end-of-the-school year shindig down the street. They will be gone for four hours. ABM decided that it would be the perfect time to go to the movies with a friend. My new friend across the street, LJ, heard him say this and suggested (unbeknownst to me) that ABM should probably take me to the movies instead. When he came back and told me that, he said it in such a disbelieving manner, as if taking me to the movies were an absurd idea. The funny thing is, I thought the same thing :-). I have some knitting to do and an R-rated DVD to watch so I was looking for to the house without kids. I told ABM he could spend the price of my movie ticket on some Chinese take-away for me and go in peace.

Is that bad? Should I have wanted to go out with ABM? Should he have wanted to take me? These are questions I would have fretted over in the past. Nowadays, I just remind myself that comparing my marriage to others brings nothing but misery. I'm enjoying my Chinese and my knitting, while ABM is enjoying his movie and the company of his friend. We'll meet later for sex and a chat and all will be good. What more could I ask for?

1 comment:

Sean Reiser said...

I think this is the sign of a solid relationship. You both can spend time apart from each other and time together. Couples that need to spend every moment they can together are the ones that have problems... they're scared of what happens when they are alone.