27 August 2008

Crazy late-night gardening

I wanted to get my fall seed planted before we leave on our family trip, but I am not a morning person. I had trouble dragging myself out of bed before the day's heat kicked in. Finally, on 18 Aug I decided to do my planting by moonlight. Well, by moonlight and the security lights on my patio. It was fun being out there after everyone else went in for the evening.

I may have planted a few things at the wrong time, but I'm enjoying all the trial and error. I planted green beans, snap peas, collard greens, cabbage, cilantro, stevia, borage, and green onions. Everything has sprouted, even the stevia which is said to be difficult to start from seed. I will put in the lettuce and spinach next week.

If my seedlings survive this week's rains, then they are pretty hardy. I looked out the window yesterday and my garden bed looked like a lake! I had to empty water out of my snap peas, which are planted in a container. I was worried they might drown. Some of the top soil has floated away from all the plants so I may have to put out more. So much for a drought!

No comments: