08 December 2008

Preparations for my first day of work

Yes, it is 6:45p on the evening before the first day of my new job, and I am blogging instead of preparing. Most people probably don't have to do much before their first day. Since I don't drive and I get bored easily, I practically have to pack an overnight bag :-). Here's my list:

1. Pick out something to wear. This will be tough because I've gained weight since my last job and I didn't have many nice outfits even when I was 20 pounds lighter. I need something that looks nice but also goes with my most comfortable shoes, just in case I get a tour of the building.

2. Experiment with makeup. It's been two years since I've worn anything more than lip gloss, but I feel like I should put my best foot forward on this job.

3. Pack lunch and snacks. I only got a brief look at the break room, so I don't want to trust the vending machines to provide me with a good lunch. Also, I will have to wait a while in the evening for ABM to pick me up, so I'll need sustenance.

4. Load music and podcasts onto my Centro. I probably won't have a chance to sit at a desk and zone out on the first day, but I will probably be eating lunch alone so I will need entertainment. It's been a while since I've had to take podcasts on the road, so I'll have to updated my Podcast Ready account.

5. Pick reading material to take along. I'll need a book or magazine just in case the battery runs low on my Centro or I run out of podcasts.

6. Finish filling out benefit forms. I know I should have filled them out last week, but I'm a procrastinator.

I guess I am in semi-denial about starting work tomorrow. However, I don't want show up with air of nonchalance about me. I need this job, and I want my employers to feel that I want to be there. I can't let my misgivings about juggling work and home show through.

2 comments:

caednkat said...

Good Luck!! I hope you have a wonderful first day!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dani, I remembered I'd bookmarked your blog and looked you up this morning. Actually I've been looking for you on Facebook....lots of the JanMoms are on there now. Anyway, good luck with the new job...hope your first day went very well!
Dawn