23 June 2009

Father's Day Update

Remember when I was dithering about what to get ABM for Father's Day? Well, I went with the Roku box because I couldn't think of anything else he would like that was within my budget. It turned out to be a good choice and I am so relieved!

When ABM opened it up, he didn't quite understand what it was for. It reminded me of when Tivo first hit the market. We were early adopters in our area, even before the local cable companies got their own DVRs. It was difficult explaining to our friends what Tivo did and why they would want it instead of a VCR. With these kinds of devices, it is easier to sit a person down in front of them and demonstrate the features.

The Roku box is tiny compared to all the other media boxes under our TV. Stack four CD cases on top of each other, and you've got the size of the Roku box. It is easy to set up, too. Connect the box to the TV, tell it how to access your wireless internet connnection, and then go on the Netflix site and enter the Roku code. That's it!

The only negative aspect is that ABM has discovered how small the Netflix streaming library is. He is not one of those film lovers who will watch practically anything, so it didn't take long for him to browse his favorite genres and pick out the few movies he hadn't already seen. I don't mind older movies and quirky indie flicks so there were several things that I would watch, but the box isn't for me :-). I assured him that the new selections are rotated regularly. He may be able to find something different in a few weeks. If we are lucky, Roku will work out deals with other sites like Hulu soon.

No comments: