16 June 2009

I've got the Short-timer's Jitters

This is my last week of work, and I don't know how I'm going to make it through. Even though my department shut down last Friday, I still have to show up for another week and do busy work so I can get checks for severance pay and unused vacation. Considering how long I was unemployed last time, I will definitely need those checks. So I know intellectually that I need to stick it out for a few more days, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to call in sick.

It's not like I hated this job. This was actually the first job I've had in a long time where I couldn't find anything to complain about. The work was simple, no one was on my back about meeting production, the people were friendly without being pushy, the office was clean, and the computers didn't look like 10-year-old rejects. I could have seen myself doing this job for several more years. Sadly, that was not to be. I knew that when I took the job, but there was a brief period of hope when I thought I could transition into something else in the same office. When that didn't work out and they gave me my definite end date, the jitters started.

It is difficult to stick with a job when your mind has already moved on. I know that I have to find another job as quickly as possible, but I'm looking forward to catching up on some home projects while I'm searching. It also feels strange to read all the emails about the brave new world my coworkers will experience with the upcoming computer transition and know that I won't be part of it.

No comments: