03 October 2009

It's a new job -- what else can I say?

I feel as though I should post something about my new job since that is the only big news in my life right now, but I don't have much to say about it. Perhaps it is too early for me to form an opinion yet. After all, the last time I was enthusiastic about a job, it turned out to be in the Workplace from Hell.

In case I hadn't mentioned it, I'm working for at a local non-profit in their weatherization program. In my experience, working at a non-profit tends to be more laid-back than working in a corporate atmosphere. Get your job done, and you're golden. No one is breathing down your neck, trying to find out what you are doing every second of the day.

From what I understand, the program had three office employees (the director and two assistants) to handle applications for two counties. Then the two assistants moved on and the coverage area was expanded to four counties about two years' ago. So the director has been handling all the paperwork for four counties by herself. As a result, there are folders and papers on every surface in the office. To me, the biggest immediate need is for a filing system.

Perhaps I have misinterpreted the situation, but right now I feel like I am in between two people who are looking to me to provide a sense of organization. The director doesn't have time to do it because she still has to get the new employees for the new offices trained. She told me Friday, "Make a list of the things you need to get organized, and I'll get them for you." The director is giving us information on how the applications need to be processed, but she seems to be leaving it to us to figure out the office flow. The program assistant who started the same day I did is only 26 and sort of looks to me to tell her what to do when the director is away from the office.

I can't help thinking that this would be a great job for my best friend Rabbit. She is a natural organizer. My organization gene only kicks in when there is such a mess that even a child could figure what needs to be done. I prefer being told what to do rather than coming up with my own ideas, especially at work. It is weird being treated like a competent professional.

No comments: