17 December 2010

Catch-up on Reverb 10: Day 13

Day 13 prompt:

Action!
When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step?
(Author: Scott Belsky)

I knew that I was going to be called out at some point. This prompt is basically asking me to set a goal. If you are a long-time reader of this blog, you know that I am lousy at sticking to goals. My biggest stumbling block in meeting goals is that I am resistant to doing what I am told to do. I'm really just a big baby. No matter how pleasurable the goal might be, the minute I set a deadline then it becomes a chore.

Even if I don't give up on a goal out of boredom or stubbornness, then the universe seems to conspire against me. My current goal to knit for charity during the month of December is a perfect example of this. I was going great guns on my first 5HBS when I fell down the stairs, banging up my whole right side against the banister. My right arm and wrist were too bruised and sore to knit more than one or two rows a day. I was finally able to knit more than that this week, so all I'm going to finish is one sweater for the whole month. Bummer.

In spite of this, I am going to set a goal for the new year. The name of this blog has changed several times over the years, and at one point it was called The Year of the Afghan. My goal at the time was to chronicle my progress as I stitched an afghan for each person in my household -- six afghans in all. That year, the only blanket I made was for a baby shower gift. So, as of 01 Jan 2011, I will be devoting the majority of my stitching time to making afghans. Let's hope at least one of my family members will end up under one of my creations.

1 comment:

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

I'm the same way, particularly with reading. If I HAVE to read a book for a class, I don't want to. But if it's for myself? I'm all over it.