10 December 2010

Catch-up post for Reverb 10: Day 10

The last few days have gotten away from me. There were so many demands on my time that I couldn't fit writing in. I even had to WORK while I was at work -- imagine that! On top of that, the last few Reverb 10 prompts have been real head-scratchers. I don't want to skip them, though, so I will be playing catch-up for the next few days.


Day 10 prompt:

Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?
(Author: Susannah Conway)

I'm not sure what I would consider my wisest decision, simply because I often second-guess myself. Even long after I've made a choice, I am not certain that it is the right one. As a matter of fact, I had trouble deciding what to write about for this prompt!

Perhaps my best decision this year, even though I didn't think it was a big deal at the time, was going to the doctor. For most of my life, my insurance coverage has been spotty. I've never had any major issues like high blood pressure or diabetes, so I've gotten used to ignoring the random symptoms that are more annoying that painful. When my insurance from my current job kicked in this past January, I ignored my normal reticence and went to get a check-up. I was having bouts of vertigo and wanted to get a new prescription for the meclizine I got at the ER. Numerous tests and several months later, I found out that I have multiple sclerosis. So I guess it was a good idea that I didn't decide to live with the dizziness.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It was great reading your Wise decision, glad you went to the doctor and decided not to live w/dizziness.

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Oh my goodness. Well yeah, it was definitely a wise decision to go. I'm like you, though. Even though I've always had insurance, I still avoid going. Always something better to do... :)

Sally G. said...

I avoid Doctor visits at all costs too! I have a basic distrust, I think. And I tend not to go until AFTER I've spent extensive time on the Internet, trying to self-diagnose.

Multiple Sclerosis? Wow. That can be a disease that doesn't get diagnosed until just about everything else is ruled out.

I'm so glad you followed your inner wisdom when you did.