28 April 2012

On My Lack of Creativity

For weeks, I've been mulling over the idea of creating some wall hangings for the house. I mean, I've had this idea for a couple years, but it has taken over my thoughts lately. Over the past year, ABM has laid new wood floors throughout the house and remodeled the kitchen. It may sound antiquated, but deep down I still think that the family home is a reflection on the woman of the house and I don't feel like I've put much of a stamp on our home.

Anyway, I want to make something rather than buy something. The hitch is that I am more of a crafter than an artist. In my mind, a crafter has the skills to follow a pattern or a set of directions and end up with a decent finished object while an artist can recreate something that only exists in her head. I want something other than "Wal-Mart art" on our walls, but I don't know how to get there. My original thought was to create something using fabric or yarn because I've worked with those materials before, but what am I going to do -- hang a sweater on my wall?

I've always felt like a creative person, but when it comes down to it I'm really not. Many times I've thought that I could start my own business doing this or that, but it doesn't take much research to find hundreds of other people who are already doing it and doing it well. When I was younger I thought I wanted to be a writer, but now I realize that I would be better at editing someone else's work than writing my own because there is no way I could come up with a plot. When it comes to art, I know that I like playing with color and seeing how different colors look up against each other but I don't know how to turn that into an object that I can hang on the wall to beautify my home.

There is a desire in me to make something with my own hands, but is that enough to make me a creative person?

2 comments:

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

I'm the same way. May I suggest hitting Pinterest? Check out my "If I ever have a daughter" board. I pinned my friend's little girl's room where she took fabric scraps and did something cute with them.

Dani In NC said...

That's a cute nursery. We did the embroidery hoop wall in M's room when she was a baby :-).

I haven't spent much time on Pinterest. Even though many different people are pinning things they love, the overall effect has a cutesy aesthetic that I'm not sure fits me. I can understand why people enjoy the site, though.