05 September 2012

A looming deadline can do wonders

Sometimes the pressure of a deadline can help me meet a goal. Not always, mind you, but sometimes it works in my favor.

C1 wanted a shrug to wear with her sleeveless dresses in the evenings on our upcoming cruise. A cruise may sound glamorous, but we scrimp and save and eat ramen for days during the run up to our cruise so there usually isn't extra money to buy new clothes and whatnot. We saw a couple shrugs in the shops for about $15 and I knew I could make her one for less. So of course I promised to make my girl a shrug, and in my usual manner I lost interest in the project as soon I had finished crocheting the first couple rows.

Here we are now, 10 days away from setting sail, and all of a sudden I am in love with this project. The first thing I wanted to do when I woke up this morning was get a cup of coffee and start crocheting. I have no doubt that I will be finished by the end of this week, if not by the end of today.

ABM is skeptical. He asked me outright last night whether I would finish in time, with a doubtful smirk on his face. Frankly, I can't blame him for not having faith in me. I'm sure that all he sees in his mind is the list of projects I started with great enthusiasm and then abandoned a week later. Still, his certainty that I will never accomplish anything hurts me a little.

From my point of view, there is always a good reason why I abandon a project. I like the beginnings and the ends, but the middle of a project bores me. That's why I slow down when I get to the part of the pattern that says something like "knit stockinette until the piece measures 20 inches". It seems like 20 inches is going to take forever, so I do a row or two a day and then move on to something else. Once I get to the 18" mark, all of a sudden I'm excited about the project again.

I really want to have more handmade items in my house and my wardrobe, so I have to get over this deficiency. I've tried having more than one project on the go, but that irritates ABM because he sees me buying materials but then never sees anything come of them. I guess the only way to do it is to barrel through.

No comments: