20 May 2013

Is sauerkraut my new miracle food?

When it comes to how I eat, there are a few holdovers from my childhood in New York. When kids here were eating hot dogs with chili and coleslaw, I was eating them with sauerkraut and mustard. I eventually adjusted to the southern way, but I still like sauerkraut a lot. I don't buy it that often because for a long time I was the only one in the house who ate it. After my experience this week, I may keep a jar or two in the fridge all the time.

From time to time, I wake up with my stomach burning. Usually I drink ginger ale, which eases it a little but not much. Last week, I had this problem again and I happened to have a jar of sauerkraut in the fridge. Lunch was to be hot dogs and sauerkraut, so that's what I ate. The next day I had the same thing again for lunch. It didn't hit me until the third day that my stomach burning was gone. Last night it came back, so I had some sauerkraut again today to see if it helps again.

I've been reading about the Paleo way of eating, and one of the things mentioned in the book Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle is that fermented foods like sauerkraut are good for stomach health. I'm not ready to embrace the entire Paleo lifestyle, but I think I can manage eating a little sauerkraut every day if it will save me some misery.

No comments: