09 October 2013

Am I getting in tune with the seasons?

This week I have been craving fruits and veggies like apples, cabbage, cauliflower, and sweet potatoes. I've been looking for recipes that feature them and telling myself that I can't wait until fall comes so these items will be in season. Although I'm still not great at it, I've been steering ABM toward buying seasonal produce so that we can save money on getting it fresh rather than having to buy frozen veggies all the time.

I can hear some of you shouting, "Fall is already here! It is October!" Yes, I know what month it is, but cut me some slack for not being in fall mode. Just three days ago it was 80 degrees outside. I didn't start feeling a snap in the air until yesterday. It has taken 30 years for me to stop associating the first week of September with corduroy skirts and sweaters, which is what I wore to grammar school as a child in New York.

Anyway, the craving for cabbage and such got so strong that I consulted the app that I bought for my iPhone ages ago, called What's Fresh. I rarely buy apps but this one is worth the $2.99 that I paid because it tells me at a glance what fruits and vegetables are in season in my area. (This is not a sponsored review; I just like the app.) Lo and behold, it turns out that all the produce I was craving is in season right now! I've heard the theory that your body craves certain foods because it is missing certain nutrients. Could I have been craving cabbage because my body knew it was cabbage season?

No comments: