13 January 2015

Block-A-Month: Off to a good start, I hope



I completed the main January block for the crochet-along that I mentioned in a previous post. Despite having pain from my fingertips to my shoulder blades, I managed to finish it in a week. It took a lot of stretching and a lot of ibuprofen, but I soldiered on!

For those who play with hooks and string, the pattern is called Pizzazz by Melinda Miller. It is a free pattern, but I think it is only available on Ravelry. If you happen to look up the pattern, you will notice that I left off the last two border rounds. I just didn't like the way they looked with the colors I was using. I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn and a US size I hook. The square is supposed to be 12" but mine ended up being 12.5". Hopefully the other squares will come out the same size since I am sticking with the same yarn and hook.

This pattern wasn't difficult, but it wasn't instinctive for me, either. I had to consult the pattern every few stitches. It didn't help that I haven't crocheted in a while, so I had trouble remembering the difference between a double crochet and a half double crochet stitch, among other things. Perhaps it will get easier as I go along and the basic stitches become part of my memory again.

NEXT UP: This crochet-along has a main block, a filler block, and a 6" block for each month. Since I've finished the main block with time in the month to spare, I will either start on the filler block or do the main block for the knit-along that I joined. You'll have to wait until my next post to see what I decide :-).

No comments: