02 April 2017

NaPoWriMo 2017 #2: Recipe

Today I used a prompt from NaPoWriMo.net to create my poem. The poem is supposed to be in the form of a recipe, either real or imaginary.

---------------------------------------------------

"There's nothing in here to eat."
That's what she used to say
When confronted with
A nearly empty larder and
A burgeoning hunger.
What she was really saying was
"Feed me,
Soothe me,
Take care of me."
But after many years of this
He stopped coming to her rescue
With packages from diners and dives.
When was she going to
Feed him,
Soothe him,
Take care of him?
So she gathered those scraps
She thought were nothing --
Half an onion
Handfuls of spinach
Beef broth
Bruised tomatoes
Diced garlic
Dashes of spices
Angel hair pasta
All her prayers --
Sauteed them with sense,
Stirred them with soothing,
And served them with care.

--Dani M. Sanders, 02 Apr 2017




No comments: