18 April 2005

I am SO not the Company Man

This week is important for the ministry where I work. There is going to be an official dedication for the new building that we moved into several months ago. Everyone is all a-twitter over the proceedings, but I must say that I am not the least bit interested. The big buzz in the dining hall today was that the staff is having a dedication ceremony on Friday, but they aren't invited to the big ceremony on Saturday. Big whoop! Notice how I said "they"? I just don't feel connected to this stuff in any way. My feelings are not hurt at all that I didn't get an invitation for Saturday's event, and I don't understand why others are making such a big deal about it.

Perhaps my attitude has something to do with my belief that my life starts after I get off work. My job is just something I do to get a paycheck. It is a bonus that I work in a place that honors my faith in God, but it is still just a job to me. I do the best work that I can because that is the honorable thing, but I don't buy into the whole "building a sense of community" mantra. ABM is being fed that same company line, but all it means in his case is that they will be downsizing (smaller staff means everyone will be able to get to know each other better -- ha!). At my job I do believe they are a bit more sincere about it, but I don't think you can mandate a family atmosphere.

1 comment:

Timotab said...

Found your blog from your comment on Alison's :)

For games that work well for introducing people to the hobby, I would suggest:
Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Blokus, Cartagena, Big City and Acquire. All are failry simple and don't run too long.

As for your afghan, take a look at my blog as I'm working on one myself. :)