22 October 2005

Health Update



Two scales don't lie; my weigh-in this morning was 257.5 pounds. Somehow I have gained 3.5 pounds in the past week. My WW points target changed without me noticing it until Wednesday so I'm sure that had a bit to do with it. My target was 35 points a day and now it is 30. I use the WW website to keep track of my points but usually I am entering points at work, which means I enter my meal and close the window quickly before my boss sees me :-). This week, however, I pried one of the PDAs out of ABM's hands and downloaded Weight Watchers On-The-Go, which is their tracking software designed to sync up with my online eTools account. It takes up a good bit of space on my little 8 MB Palm, but I have access to the same restaurant and grocery database that I use online. Since I am a gadgety girl, I am more likely to keep track of every single thing that I eat if I use the PDA. I want to get a handle on this before my weight goes right back to where I started.

I haven't exercised much this week, but I enjoyed what I did. I did Walk Away the Pounds for 20 minutes on Monday and 10 minutes on Tuesday. Believe it or not, I did it before I went to work. This is the best time for me to exercise, but it is difficult for me to make it a habit.

I also did Jack Lalanne twice this week. Yes, I said Jack Lalanne. ESPN Classic shows his original black-and-white shows from the 1950s early in the morning. I vaguely remember seeing Jack Lalanne on TV in the mid-1970s so I thought it would be funny to try one of his workouts. For someone in poor physical condition like me, Jack Lalanne is no joke. There are a couple things in his workouts that I can't do, like the bicycle. I don't think that his workout is enough by itself but it makes a good addition to walking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems like I've read that the best time to exercise is in the morning, anyway. It sets your metabolism rate at that point, and it stays there (more or less) for the entire day.

Anonymous said...

I love that you're working out to Jack Lalanne shows! As someone who's been eating nonstop lately due to job/life stress, I need inspiration desperately, this is just the ticket! Congrats on your progress... Jean