13 July 2006

Poetry Thursday: Untitled

I couldn't follow this week's prompt about humor in poetry; the only funny poetry I know was written by Dr. Seuss. As you can see from my own work, I don't exactly write funny poetry, either. So I am being lazy again and posting one of my old poems.
----------------------

She sat across the room from him,
Staring silently at the back of his head,
Wishing,
Wanting,
Hoping,
That he would speak.
She needed to know
That he wanted her there.
She wanted to feel the words
"I love you"
Uttered breathlessly against the nape of her neck.
Every fiber in her body
Screamed out for his touch,
Yet he just sat there,
Entranced by the too-loud television
And the six-pack of warm beer,
Oblivious to her aching need.

--Dani M. Sanders, 27 Jun 1989

2 comments:

Colorsonmymind said...

Oh I remember way back when having these deep feelings of longing to be loved.

This poem made me feel that feeling for a moment. Powerful.

Cassiopeia Rises said...

I too could not do this weeks poem. I wrote a poem which I will post today if I have time. I am in Fla. at my sisters house and it took me two days to understand how to work her PC.Thanks for the info about changing my post.
I don't think I like this weeks subject but will give it a try.
Thanks again, beloveddreamer.