24 August 2008

Twist on a Vintage Pattern

Vintage Cable Headband

It's long overdue that I talk about a bit of knitting on the blog. I've been in a knitting slump for quite a while, which is a shame because I should be making better use of this time without a job. Several years ago, I made a little extra money knitting and crocheting hats and selling them to friends. It occurred to me that I could try that again. I know that I won't make enough to replace my working income, but it's better than nothing.

This brings us to the headband pictured above. Headbands are still popular with the girls here, so I thought I would mine my collection of vintage patterns and see what i could come up with. I knit the pattern as it was, but it turned out to be far too wide.

Modified Vintage Cable Headband

Here is M wearing my modification of the pattern. I used a worsted weight yarn called Caron Simply Soft, readily available at Wal-Mart. No yarn snob, me :-). I kept the cable intact and narrowed the knit stitches down to four on each side. The twisted cords at the ends were eliminated. Instead, the piece was stretchy enough for me to just sew it into a circle. I made the headband about two inches shorter than M's head circumference so that it would fit snugly.

It may seem like a little thing, but I'm proud of myself! I rarely make modifications to patterns because I am nervous about the outcome. It was also nice to finally make use of a pattern that I've been holding on to for almost 10 years. Between this and helping my friend LJ knit for her sister's baby, I'm getting excited about needlework again. Here's hoping that my newfound enthusiasm results in some finished objects.

No comments: