29 November 2008

The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook

The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars

The phrase "bread lover" in the title should have given me a clue as to what I would find between the covers of this book. This is not necessarily the book you give to someone who just bought their first bread machine. Not that you won't learn a lot about using a bread machine from this book; it is chock-full of knowledge. Unfortunately, it is that abundance of information that makes this book overwhelming for the beginner. There are recipes for all kinds of holiday breads, ethnic breads, sourdough breads, and egg breads. There are recipes for pizzas, flatbreads, croissants, and cinnamon rolls. There are even suggestions for ways to use leftover bits of bread.

I originally planned to give this book only two stars because I wanted something more simple. If the title of a recipe has more than three words, it is too fancy for me! I would never consider making anything beyond the Daily Breads chapter. It is only one-fifth of the book, but it could keep me busy for weeks with its recipes for staples like hot dog buns, sandwich bread, and pasta.

Now I've given it some more thought, I'm giving this book three stars. It is the equivalent of that jacket your grandma bought you that was slightly too big. You may not love it now, but you will grow into it.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Vodka Mom said...

I LOE bread. too damn much.