19 September 2010

Lost 7 lbs last week!

Once upon a time, I talked about my weight loss efforts on this site a lot. I would stick to a program for a few weeks, complain about how much I hated it, and quit. Then a few months later, I'd start a new program, assure myself and my readers that THIS time it would stick, and the cycle would start all over again. To spare you guys all my whining, I stopped writing about my fitness efforts here. However, I had to break my silence just for a moment to crow: I lost 7 lbs last week!

Although I wrote about getting back to exercise in Oct 2009, I didn't get serious until this past May. I attended my niece's graduation and at the end of that busy weekend, my feet and calves were incredibly swollen. After consulting Dr. Google, I figured it was edema brought on by the heat, the walking, and my extra weight. I've been a big girl all my life but I've never had any of the stereotypical "fat lady" symptoms like swollen extremities and heavy mouth-breathing. That weekend I had it all, so I signed up for Weight Watchers again as soon as I got home.

Taking off the weight has been slow going. There have been several weeks where I gained weight and I haven't exercised as much as I should. All in all, I've only lost a total of 12 lbs since the end of May. Still, I think I will stick with Weight Watchers Online for a while. I feel bad that I am paying for a service that isn't really much different than the free ones like Sparkpeople and FitDay, especially since I avoid the message boards and just use the tracker. All I can say is that WW seems to work for me where the other services have been too easy to abandon.

Another reason why I believe I won't give up on losing weight this time is that I have ABM beside me doing the same thing. I wouldn't exactly call him supportive; he's not the cheerleader type. However, he isn't bringing as much unhealthy food into the house as he used to and he doesn't flinch when I buy things like fresh fruit, which used to be a rarity because it was pricey. We've had a few discussions about how he would like us both to be on the same page with the fitness thing, and I know he would be resentful if he got down to a healthy weight and I wasn't even trying. ABM would prefer that I get the Lap-band like he did, but I don't want that so I have to prove to him that I can lose weight the old-fashioned way.

1 comment:

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

That's so exciting!! Good for you trying to lose it the old fashioned way. It's the tougher (aka longer) route, but you'll be so proud of yourself in the end!