30 March 2011

Time to eat my words

Remember when I wrote that post about how much I dislike Facebook? Well, sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do in the name of being a good parent. I let my daughters start Facebook accounts this month, and I feel that I should be on Facebook myself to keep tabs on what they are doing. Despite all the hype, I think that overall the internet isn't that dangerous. Still, ABM and I would both feel better if we did all that we could to make sure the girls don't get into trouble online.

However, if you see me pop up on Facebook, don't send me a friend request. My main purpose for being on the site is to monitor what my kids are doing. With all my friends, I'd really rather correspond via email or visit your blog. The only exception is gaming -- if you like to play the games and want to challenge my high score on Bejeweled Blitz, then I will gladly be your Facebook pal!

6 comments:

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Whatever, I'm the MASTER of Bejeweled Blitz. But Brad won't let me play it anymore, because he thinks it gave our computer a virus. :)
I actually don't do much on there anymore either. Just keep up with other friends and see who's having babies, etc. Good for you on being a good parent.

Dani In NC said...

I just read a survey that said 91% of women put up with the things that annoy them about Facebook because want to be able to see the photos that their friends post. This is just more proof that my testosterone level is higher than my estrogen because girly things like keeping up with all the birth announcements and wading through people's photo albums generally don't appeal to me.

I will probably end up using Facebook the way I use Twitter. I will follow the discussions on fan pages of shows that I like such as Marketplace and Pop Culture Happy Hour. More and more companies and such are making announcements and sharing content on Facebook exclusively. Since I have to be on Facebook for the kids, I might as well make the most of it.

laurina sigmon said...

Hahahaha. Sorry :) I do think you are being a good parent though. One of my friends who has teenagers let them get an account and did not friend them. They put up inappropriate pictures of themselves (OK for maybe a 20-year-old, but not a 14-year-old if you know what I'm saying). This was a good kid, but she's in that 'it's my body I should be proud and not ashamed' stage. I'm all about women's rights but it's naive to think other teenage boys aren't just looking for their cleavage. It's good for the kids to know moma's watching!

Dani In NC said...

Laurina, I knew you would laugh at me :-). Whatever. The girls like that I am on Facebook. It is one online activity that we all share. I do my best not to be too obnoxious and embarrass them in front of their friends, though.

Laurina Sigmon said...

Dani,
I think it is your duty to be obnoxious and embarrass them! :) Aren't you impressed that I actually came back to this post to see if you replied to me?
Can I have my internet license back now?

Miss you (4 real - not just sayin'),
Laurina

Dani In NC said...

Well, it is not just for them, but for me, too. I'm old enough to know that I can't be on the same level as my kids and their friends but young enough that I still want to be a cool mom :-).

Yes, I guess you can have your internet license back. Hardly anyone ever comes back to my blog and responds again to the same post. You're so devoted!