19 September 2012

My spur-of-the-moment tomato soup

I have been craving tomato soup and crackers for the past two days, but of course the one meal I wanted was not in my house. However, I did have several canned tomato products (whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste) and a pantry full of seasonings. I figured I could come up with something close to soup.

Because I am still unsure of my skills in the kitchen, I had to find a recipe. Using the Relish app on my iPhone, I found a recipe called Three-Tomato Soup. I didn't have all the ingredients but it helped to have a guideline. Here is what I did have on hand:

Olive oil
1 onion
1 14-oz can of reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 14-oz can of petite diced tomatoes
6 oz of tomato paste
Thyme
Balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground pepper
Garlic salt

The recipe called for pureeing the soup, but the tomatoes were diced finely enough that I didn't see the need.  I would like to try preparing the original recipe, but I think my version was tasty. If I make it again, I might add a little sugar to cut down the acidity of the tomatoes.

No comments: